Welcome to the webpage for the 5th African Sign Languages Workshop at the World Congress of African Linguistics (WOCAL) at Leiden University in the Netherlands
WOCAL 10 was hosted by Leiden University in Leiden, Netherlands in June 2021. It was fully online due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The African Sign Languages Workshop was held in parallel sessions during the conference, from Monday, June 7th to Saturday June 12th. Registration was required for all attendees, but was free to those from Africa and other attendees on a case-by-case basi). The languages of the workshop were International Sign and English (in subtitles; some presentations were voiced in French with English subtitles).
- African Sign Languages Workshop Program
- HANDS! Festival held on Saturday, June 12, 2021
- Instructions for workshop presenters on making pre-recorded videos
- Some locations had “hub” viewing parties (see Hubs). There were sign language hubs in all these locations!
- Cape Verde: Pedro Gomes High School in Cabo Verde (Adele Avares)
- Côte d’Ivoire: Université Felix Houphouet-Boigny, salle de Conférence de l’Institut de Linguistique Appliquée (ILA) (Tano Angoua Jean-Jacques & Dibi Koffi Bruno)
- Ethiopia: Addis Ababa University/SIL (Kidane Admasu & Woinshet Girma)
- Ghana: University of Ghana, Legon (Dr. George Akanlig-Pare, Timothy Mac Hadjah, Marco Nyarko)
- Guinea-Bissau: Federação das Associações de Defesa e Promoção dos Direitos das Pessoas com Deficiência na Guiné-Bissau (FADPD-GB) (Amaré Soares)
Please direct questions to email@example.com